Q1. Below are sentences that are the paraphrasing of proverbs.In each case, encircle the proverb that matches with the
paraphrasing best 😦 2 marks for each item)
1. Usually people of the same type tend to be together.
(a) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(b) Birds of a feather flock together.
(c) Every bird likes his own nest best.
(d) Eagles catch no flies.
2. Sometimes things are not as valuable as they appear to be.
(a) All that glitters is not gold.
(b) Liberty is better than gold.
(c) Today gold, tomorrow dust.
(d) Where gold speaks every tongue is silent.
3. You must always try not to plan the successful results of something
until those results actually occur.
(a) Divide and rule.
(b) Life is not a bed of roses.
(c) Good finds good.
(d) Don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.
4. One should take care of one’s own family, friends, or fellow citizens
before helping other people.
(a) You reap what you sow.
(b) Nothing hurts like the truth.
(c) Charity begins at home.
(d) It takes two to tango.
5. Don’t form an opinion about something based on appearance alone.
(a) We soon believe what we desire.
(b) Don’t judge a book by its cover.
(c) Seeing is believing.
(d) Two wrongs don’t make a right.
6. When there is evidence of a problem, then there probably is a
(a) Where there is smoke, there is fire.
(b) A burnt child dreads the fire.
(c) Of two evils choose the least.
(d) Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
7. People in general think that nothing can be accomplished without
(a) Look before you leap.
(b) No man can serve two masters.
(c) No pain, no gain.
(d) To run one’s head against a stone wall.
8. When you hurry too much, you are likely to do a poor job, and you
may waste time doing it over.
(a) It is hard to please all parties.
(b) Necessity knows no law.
(c) Misfortunes never come alone.
(d) Haste makes waste.
9. When a group of people with the same goals work together, they can
accomplish more than individuals can do.
(a) Misery loves company.
(b) Too many cooks spoil the broth.
(c) In unity there is strength.
(d) Two’s company, but three’s a crowd.
10.It’s better not to try to improve something that is already satisfactory.
(a) Make hay while the sun shines.
(b) Leave well enough alone.
(c) Strike while the iron is hot.
(d) Don’t cry over split milk.
Q2 Complete the following: (3 marks for each item).
1. Actions speak louder than words.
2. If you can’t beat them, join them .
3. Easy come , easy go.
4. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
5. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
6. One man’s food, is another man’s poison.
7. A cat has nine lives.
8. Blood is thinker then water.